Senior Front End Engineer
At Bitly, we believe in the power of the link or scan - to start a conversation, build a relationship or grow a business. Our mission is to turn every interaction into a catalyst for connections. It’s what motivates us to help people share, promote and engage everywhere on the Internet. We do this by being relentlessly product-focused, fostering the free-flowing exchange of ideas, and inspiring people around the world to dream up new ways of using Bitly.
You will work closely with the engineering, architect and product teams. Our teams work primarily in React, TypeScript, and Go. You will report to and collaborate with the VP of Engineering, Core Product.
- Identify essential missing technical requirements during the planning and design phases of the SDLC
- Work closely with product managers, engineers, and other architects to identify and solve complex technical challenges
- Cultivate an open communication culture, promoting knowledge sharing and collaboration within the engineering team
- Mentor junior, mid-level, and senior developers, providing guidance on best practices, coding standards, and architectural principles
- Stay up-to-date on industry trends and emerging technologies, influencing decision-making based on the latest advancements
- Lead the evaluation and adoption of new technologies to enhance the company's technical capabilities
- Oversee a technical area by providing guidance and alignment in Design and Planning phases of a project
- Contributes to Implementation phases of project(s) that are critical for the business and highly complex
- Conduct regular code reviews and architectural assessments to maintain architectural integrity
- Documents how services, files, and technologies work together
- Defines, implements, documents, and enforces best practices to uphold high code quality and system reliability standards
- Create, manage, and improve our web application using a variety of technologies, including React and Typescript
- Draw from previous engineering at-scale experience to influence and steer improvements within our distributed engineering organization
- Continuously collaborate with a diverse organization of value-driven individuals to understand the goals, needs, and priorities of our users
- Turn your understanding of our systems into thoughtful, well-tested, and scalable solutions easily managed by your fellow engineers
Who You Are
- Quality Focus: A strong commitment to maintaining the highest standards of product quality.
- Testing Expertise: Demonstrated proficiency in various testing approaches and methodologies, ensuring thorough test coverage.
- Test Case Management: Experience with a test case management system (e.g., Qase or similar) to effectively organize, track, and manage test cases, ensuring comprehensive test coverage.
- Time Management: Excellent time management and organizational skills to efficiently prioritize and execute testing tasks.
- Communication Skills: Strong communication and collaboration skills, enabling effective interaction with cross-functional teams.
- Self-Motivated: A self-motivated problem solver capable of independently executing complex tasks with limited instruction.
- Agile Experience: Experience working in an Agile environment, adapting to changing requirements and contributing to iterative development.
- Quality Advocate: A staunch advocate for quality and user experience, striving to deliver products that meet and exceed user expectations.
- Curiosity and Problem-Solving: An inquisitive mind and continuous curiosity that drives you toward creative and effective problem-solving.
- SQL Proficiency: Comfort and proficiency in writing SQL queries for database testing and validation.
- Technical Skills: Experience working in a virtual machine (VM) environment and with command-line interfaces.
US Employee Benefits
- Strong expertise in defining and leading frontend architecture, emphasizing modular and scalable design patterns
- Proven ability to guide development teams in implementing best practices for performance optimization, code maintainability, and user-centric design in frontend applications
- Experience in crafting scalable and responsive user interfaces that enhance the overall user experience
- Excellent in aligning architectural decisions with product goals and business objectives
- You embrace feedback as an active participant in your own growth and take full ownership in your work
- You are familiar with relevant tools and technologies and have the drive to stay up-to-date with ongoing changes and advancements
- You clearly communicate technical concepts and ideas to other engineers and other parts of the organization
- You care about the quality of the code you write and strive to leave things better than you found them
- You take the initiative in addressing issues or seeking support from fellow team members
- You have experience with and are a proponent of automated testing
- You have experience using a flavor of version control, such as git and Github, to collaborate and manage your work
- Be a Catalyst. As an innovative technology company, we build our products to be a catalyst for connection and encourage our team to be catalysts for meaningful impact both at work and in the world
- Take Ownership. In our highly collaborative culture, Individual accountability is critical. We depend on each other to solve our customers' most challenging problems and celebrate the wins together
- Champion Diversity, Equity & Inclusion. Our product connects people of all backgrounds and abilities. And our company is built on the belief that our differences make us better and that everyone deserves the opportunity in which to thrive
- Show Integrity. We don’t cut corners. We don’t look for the easy way out. We approach every day with a shared mindset - let’s do the right thing, even if it’s the harder thing
- Have Fun. Whether your time is here is as short as a Bitly link or as long as the links your grandma sends you, we want your experience at Bitly to be fun and memorable. We hope the connections you make here last a lifetime